Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.
What does the Bible say?
Paul exhorts us to devote ourselves to prayer. Prayer is our means of communication with God. God speaks to us through His Word, the Bible. We talk to God through prayer. What are some attitudes we need to cultivate in order to develop a habit of prayer?
1 – Be Watchful.
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
. . . be clear-minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.
1 Peter 4:7
What does it mean to be watchful?
2 – Be Thankful
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Why is it important to present your requests to God with thanksgiving?
3 – Be Purposeful
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.
We need to pray with purpose, whether for specific people, our family, churches, outreaches, or nations.
4 – Be in Faith
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
What does it mean to be in faith?
What is the relevant to my life?
- Why do you think some Christians find it hard to pray?
- Why is prayer an important habit of a healthy disciple?
- How can we develop the habit of prayer every day?
How do I apply this to my life?
- Is prayer a part of your daily walk with God? What are some practical steps you can take to develop the consistent and fruitful habit of prayer?
- How can you be more watchful in prayer this week?
- How can you hold on to God’s promises for your life every day? Are you in faith that He is willing and able to answer you?